Announcement FanSided.com is hiring paid news desk writers. Apply here! ×

Dec 9, 2013; Chicago, IL, USA; Dallas Cowboys tight end Gavin Escobar (89) makes a catch against Chicago Bears free safety Chris Conte (47) during the second quarter at Soldier Field. Mandatory Credit: Mike DiNovo-USA TODAY Sports

Marc Trestman Hopeful That Chris Conte Plays On Thursday

Chicago Bears head coach Marc Trestman told reporters on Tuesday after practice that he is hopeful that safety Chris Conte plays on Thursday for the Bears against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Trestman told reporters earlier this week that Conte’s status for the Bears second Pre-Season game would be decided by the team’s training staff.

Conte returned to the practice on Sunday after not participating in any of the Bears’ off-season activities. Conte underwent shoulder surgery in late March and was cleared to return to practice on Sunday. Since returning to practice on Sunday, Conte has been working with both the first-team and second-team defense.

Conte has looked impressive in practice this week. During practice on Monday, Conte had a red-zone interception of quarterback Jordan Palmer.

Conte, if healthy, will likely be given every opportunity to retain his starting spot in the Bears’ secondary from last season.

With Ryan Mundy seemingly having locked up one of the two safety spots, Conte is believed to be competing with Danny McCray, Brock Vereen, and Adrian Wilson for the other starting safety spot.

Vereen, who spent most of the off-season working with the first-team defense, has struggled in training camp and likely will not be a starting safety for the Bears when the regular season begins.

Wilson and McCray have  both spent time in training camp working with the first-team defense. Wilson, who is a five-time Pro Bowler, could Conte’s main threat to a starting spot in the Bears’ secondary.

 

Tags: Chicago Bears Chris Conte Marc Trestman

comments powered by Disqus