The Cubs acquired Villanueva in the Ryan Dempster trade two years ago with the Texas Rangers and the third base prospect is now playing with the Iowa Cubs.
On Monday for the I-Cubs, Villanueva hit his first home run of the season. Villanueva’s home run as well as all the other notable performances from the Chicago Cubs minor league affiliates will be the focus of the latest edition of our Minor League recap.
Iowa Cubs 4, Nashville Sounds 1
- Villanueva was 1-for-4 on Monday while hitting his first home run of the season for the I-Cubs. Villanueva is not as promising as Bryant or Baez but has a future in the Major Leagues. Though, Villanueva may have to change positions if he is going to remain a apart of the long-term picture for the Cubs.
- Brett Jackson broke through on Monday for I-Cubs after starting the season without a hit in his first 12 at-bats. Jackson went 2-for-2 on Monday while hitting a triple and scoring a run.
- Tsuyoshi Wada, who struggled mightily during Spring Training, made his first start of the season for the I-Cubs on Monday. Wada was effective as he allowed 1 run on 3 hits and 1 walk to go with 8 strikeouts in 6 2/3 innings of work.
Pensacola Blue Wahoos 3, Tennessee Smokies 2
- Smokies first baseman Dustin Geiger hit his second home run of the season on Monday.
Brevard County Manatees 5, Daytona Cubs 4
- Cubs reliever Arodys Vizcaino pitched another scoreless inning on Monday for Daytona. Vizcaino is working his way back from Tommy John surgery and should be with the Major League team before the conclusion of the first half.