On Saturday, one of the Cubs’ top prospects broke through after slumping to start the season and another prospect became frustrated as his slump continued.
Those prospects as well as the performance of the Cubs’ minor league affiliates will be the focus of today’s Minor League recap.
Memphis Redbirds 11, Iowa Cubs 1
- Javier Baez was without a hit again on Saturday as he went 0-f0r-2. Baez remains hit-less on the season and on Saturday, his frustrations boiled over. Baez was ejected in the third inning after arguing a strike call.
- Kyle Hendricks was the starting pitcher for the I-Cubs. Hendricks struggled as he allowed 7 runs (6 earned) on 7 hits and 2 walks while striking out 5.
- After a tough spring, Alberto Cabrera made his first appearance with the I-Cubs on Saturday as he pitched 1 1/3 scoreless innings while striking out 2.
Pensacola Blue Wahoos 5, Tennessee Smokies 0
- Kris Bryant did not homer in his third straight game for the Smokies. Bryant was 0-for-2 on Saturday while drawing one walk.
- Jake Arrieta made a rehab start with the Smokies on Saturday. Arrieta, who will be the Cubs’ fifth starter once healthy, pitched 3 innings on Saturday while allowing 1 unearned run on 1 walk while striking out 3.
- Corey Black, the reliever the Cubs acquired for Alfonso Soriano from the New York Yankees last season, pitched 2 innings on Saturday while allowing 2 runs on 5 hits and 1 walk while striking out 3.
Daytona Cubs 13, Brevard County Manatees 2
- Cubs top outfield prospect Albert Almora broke out of his slump to start the season on Saturday. Almora went 5-for-6 on Saturday with the Cubs while picking up 3 RBIs.
- Taylor Scott was the starting pitcher for the Cubs. Scott was dominant in his first start of the season as he pitched seven shutout innings while allowing 2 hits and one walk.
- Cubs second baseman Gioskar Amaya continued his hot start to the season. Amaya went 3-for-5 on Saturday while scoring 2 runs.
Quad Cities River Bandits 2, Kane County Cougars 1
Kane County Cougars 5, Quad Cities River Bandits 4
- The Cougars split a doubleheader against the River Bandits on Saturday.
- Cougars centerfielder Jake Hanneman and designated hitter Daniel Canela each had a home run in the Cougars victory on Saturday.
- Gerardo Concepcion made his season debut with the Cougars on Saturday. Concepcion struggled as he 3 runs on 2 hits and 2 walks in 2/3 of an inning worked.