Chicago Cubs third base prospect Kris Bryant is showing why he is expected to make it to the Major Leagues by the end of the 2014 season. For the second straight day, Bryant hit a home for the Tennessee Smokies.
Bryant’s home run along with the performances of all the other Cubs Minor League affiliates on Friday will be highlighted in this next rendition of Da Windy City’s Cubs Minor League recap.
Memphis Redbirds 9, Iowa Cubs 0
- Top prospect Javier Baez remains without a hit with the Iowa Cubs this season. Baez was hitless in the I-Cubs’ opening day game on Thursday and again was without a hit on Friday. Baez went 0-for-4 on Friday against the Redbirds while striking out twice.
- I-Cubs’ outfielder Matt Szczur was the only player to get a hit for the I-Cubs on Friday. Szczur had two hits on Friday. Those two hits by Szczur were the only hits that the I-Cubs had on the season.
- Jonathan Sanchez struggled in his relief appearance with the I-Cubs. Sanchez gave up 5 runs on 1 hit and 3 walks in his 2/3 of an inning worked.
Tennessee Smokies 1, Pensacola Blue Wahoos 0
- As mentioned in the lede, Bryant homered for the second straight game on Friday. Bryant now has a home run in each of his first two games played with the Smokies.
- Cubs pitching prospect C.J. Edwards was on the mound for the Smokies. Edwards was brilliant as he pitched four shutout innings while allowing 1 hit and striking out 4.
- Jorge Soler did not play in the Smokies’ game on Friday. Soler is scheduled to have an MRI done on his injured hamstring.
Brevard County Manatees 4, Daytona Cubs 3
- Cubs outfielder prospect Albert Almora remains without a hit on the season for the Cubs. Almora was 0-f0r-5 on Friday, though, none of his five outs were of the strikeout variety.
- Cubs right fielder Pin-Chieh Chen had three hits for the Cubs on Friday.
- Cubs starting pitcher Jose Rosario struggled in his start on Friday. Rosario allowed 3 runs on 5 hits and 3 walks on Friday while striking out 5.