Oct 20, 2013; Landover, MD, USA; Chicago Bears running back Matt Forte (22) scores a touchdown against the Washington Redskins during the first quarter at FedEx Field. Mandatory Credit: Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports

Half-Time Report: Jay Cutler Injured As Bears Trail Redskins 24-17

The game between the Chicago Bears and Washington Redskins began with the two teams exchanging field goals in the early minutes of the first quarter.

After a field goal by Robbie Gould tied the game, Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III threw an interception on the first play of the corresponding series. The interception was made by Bears cornerback Charles Tillman. The interception set the Bears offense up deep in the red zone and the team was able to convert as Matt Forte rushed into the end-zone for first touchdown of the game.

An early concern for the Bears defense, however, was their defense against the read option and the play-action passes of the Redskins offense. Griffin and the Redskins offense had early success on play-action plays as well as option plays. By the time the first quarter concluded, Griffin had already compiled 53 rushing yards.

The second quarter began with the Redskins driving into plus-territory against the Bears defense. The drive concluded with Redskins running back Roy Helu rushed for 14 yards and a touchdown on his first carry of the game.  Once again on that series, the Redskins offense took advantage of the holes that were created as a result of the Bears’ defense line being unable to create pressure.

The momentum did not stop there for the Redskins. After Devin Hester returned the Redskins kickoff to the Bears’ 21-yard line, a Jay Cutler pass that was intended for wide receiver Alshon Jeffery was bobbled by Jeffery and intercepted by Redskins linebacker Brian Orakpo. Orakpo returned the interception for a touchdown to give the Redskins the 17-10 lead in the second quarter.

Later in the second quarter, Cutler suffered a lower-body injury after being sacked by Redskins defensive end Chris Baker. Cutler’s reaction to the injury is what was concerning. Cutler stayed down on the field for several moments before gingerly walking off the field and towards the locker room.

Josh McCown entered the game as the Bears quarterback.

After stalled drives by the Bears and Redskins offenses, Devin Hester proceeded to temporarily lift the spirits of Bears fans as Hester secured his first punt return touchdown of the season. For Hester, that was his 19th career return touchdown–tying Deion Sanders for the most in the history of the NFL.

The Redskins 2-minute offense was successful against the Bears defense at the end of the first half. After a play action pass from Griffin to Leonard Hankerson set the Redskins offense up at the Bears 4-yard line,  a third-down pass from Griffin to Jordan Reed resulted in a touchdown. That touchdown would give the Redskins a 24-17 lead at half-time.

Bigger than the game, it was reported in the seconds leading into half-time that Cutler’s injury was to his groin and the quarterback was questionable to return in the second quarter.



Tags: Chicago Bears Washington Redskins

comments powered by Disqus